Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cleaning carpets

Well, there is nothing quite like cleaning  your carpets. Sure it is really nice when you finally get there, but really, people do this every year??????? It is EPIC! Dilemmas galore. First I had to decide if this is a good time? No. Never is a good time to do this, so let's just do it. Next dilemma, what company? No soap. Steam or oxy???? I don't know, look it up on line. Go with steam. Find steam company that seems reputable and affordable. Good, that is done. Next dilemma, You mean I have to move all my treasures/junk?  That is epic, crazy, loony, this is why this is the first time in 6 years we have done this......and I swear it will be the last while I am moving furniture, boxes and dressers.  I spent a week cleaning out each room so that it would be devoid of all movable items, and small furniture. And let me tell you, I DO NOT HAVE a week to do this. My available space in the house for this was completely full. I mean totally and completely full. It looked like we were moving. So, the carpet cleaner came. He cleaned it all. He did a great job. He took our rugs to clean too and brought them back and they are so nice. He re stretched a carpet. He did a great job. It took him most of the day. While it was drying we were trapped in the kitchen crowded in with all the furniture from the living room. So we escaped and went grocery shopping. The next day I put some things back. But, the window washer was coming (yes, I know--- why the next day? Well, there is no good time, so just do it!). I rearranged room settings. It was fun. The windows were cleaned in and out and the tracks and screens and it is fabulous. Now, all that cleaning has gotten me into cleaning. I must confess, I hate cleaning. I like a neat house, organized, and clean enough. But in the 6 years we have lived here I have not once cleaned behind the piano or other such places. Yuck. It is done now. The next dilemma in getting your carpet cleaned is putting the things back. Maybe, I don't want all that stuff put back, but what do I do with it? Do I want it or not? My sister in law recently had hers done too. She was brave and got rid of a bunch of stuff. I just can't decide. So, my house still looks like we are moving. I just don't want to put it back, but don't know what to do with it. Well, honestly, I haven't had the time to decide. The carpet and windows look great, the new room configurations are fun and all the "extra" is sitting in the middle of rooms and walk ways waiting............... for me to decide what to do with it.

Honestly this is sort of like that If You Give a Mouse a Cookie book. It started with re-doing my daughters room She is about to be 13 and she gets a room makeover for her new bigger girl status. Young lady in fact.  Well, her carpet needed cleaned and so we did the whole house. If the carpets are going to be cleaned the windows need it too. If you are going to clean all that you might as well get rid of all your junk. :) That scattered line of thought really makes things hard. Nothing left to me is really done at all. P is waiting for her room to be finished still and I have piles of stuff all over waiting to be put away or gotten rid of. Maybe in another life I will get it all done. For now, it waits, a little at a time. Hopefully by the 13th birthday it will be done.

1 comment:

Ricki said...

What a monster job that is but what reward in a super clean house. I hate to do it myself but every so often we do.

Take The 5 Love Languages profile with this widget

Keep on the Sunny Side

The Whites - Keep on the Sunny Side
(Depression Era song)

There's a dark & a troubled side of life
There's a bright, there's a sunny side, too
Tho' we meet with the darkness and strife
The sunny side we also may view

[cho:] Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side,
Keep on the sunny side of life
It will help us ev'ry day, it will brighten all the way
If we'll keep on the sunny side of life

The storm and its fury broke today,
Crushing hopes that we cherish so dear;
Clouds and storms will, in time, pass away
The sun again will shine bright and clear.
Let us greet with the song of hope each day
Tho' the moment be cloudy or fair
Let us trust in our Saviour away
Who keepeth everyone in His care