Thursday, November 11, 2010

Grandparents and Veteran's Day

Olivia did a school project for Veteran's Day this year. Here is her tribute to her great grandparents. 




MY GRANDPA, JERRY HARDCASTLE

 My great-grandpa served in World War 2. He drove the 1st jeep leading the tanks in the war to storm the gates of Dachau Concentration Camp to free the Jews. He was in the 11th armored division. My grandpa signed up to serve because he believed all people had dignity and rights. Even outside of his military duty he worked hard to help people. My grandpa died in April 2006. I am happy that he had a chance to do things he was destined to do, my grandpa saved many lives. I am proud of my grandpa and how he risked his life for others. THANK YOU GRANDPA!  



MY GRANDMA, MARIETTA HARDCASTLE

My great-grandma worked for the Federal government during World War 2. She worked one year at Camp Carson, which is now called Fort Carson, and at bases in Denver and California. My grandma typed and sent orders for trains to where they need to go; she also drew portraits of her bosses for the company news paper. My grandma enjoyed the women she worked for and with. When my grandpa was assigned to the base in Kansas my grandma had to get there by herself, so she learned to drive at age 21. My grandma had a small official part in the war the effort, and a big part supporting her husband who fought in the war. Without women like her the war would not have been successful.    



1 comment:

Ricki said...

This is very special. Very Very Very special.

Take The 5 Love Languages profile with this widget

Keep on the Sunny Side

The Whites - Keep on the Sunny Side
(Depression Era song)

There's a dark & a troubled side of life
There's a bright, there's a sunny side, too
Tho' we meet with the darkness and strife
The sunny side we also may view

[cho:] Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side,
Keep on the sunny side of life
It will help us ev'ry day, it will brighten all the way
If we'll keep on the sunny side of life

The storm and its fury broke today,
Crushing hopes that we cherish so dear;
Clouds and storms will, in time, pass away
The sun again will shine bright and clear.
Let us greet with the song of hope each day
Tho' the moment be cloudy or fair
Let us trust in our Saviour away
Who keepeth everyone in His care